‘The Best of Design‘
National Museums Liverpool’s proposed public realm transformation
The Design Diversity Website is a website that promotes diversity in Design and Technology. It is campaigning for Examination Boards to take up this challenge, and address diversity within their specifications and resources, starting by expanding the list of designers students can study.
Click on link below to go the main Design Diversity website:
The site is also asking for suggestions of designers, which can be added to their diversity list. I have included the statements from the teachers who established the diversity website. They say it so much better than I can. These inspirational messages are not only at the heart of the issue, but also at the heart of our subject. They need to be shared:
What’s this all about:
‘I’ve spent my career working in design and am now a design and technology teacher in a secondary school. I’ve been fortunate to see the human benefits of a diverse workplace in industry, and was surprised (and not surprised) that the same old white men were still being pushed in the classroom.
I thought I’d set this up to try and change things.‘
I’ve been teaching design and technology since 2007. Design and technology has always celebrated inspirational designers and now the time has come to ensure the designers we celebrate also reflect society, both women and BAME designers have been underrepresented. The children we teach need to see a diverse range of role models.
Initially I would like to work on creating a high quality set of resources that design and technology teachers can use to help start the conversation in class. Stephen asked if I would collaborate with him on this project and of course I agreed.
Please add your designer and business suggestions using the link above.
Sarah Awbery has been producing a range of outstanding resources to promote designers from diverse backgrounds and she has kindly given us permission to share these with you on our website. They are free to download and use. However, If you do use these resources, please ensure you give credit to Sarah for the stunning work she has undertaken.
More Designers are available at the link below:
- Sir David Adjaye – Architect
- Zaha Hadid – Architect
- Ron Arad – Industrial Designer, Artist, Architect
- Neri Oxman – Architect, Scientist, Inventor
- Marc Newson CBE – Industrial Designer
- Charles & Ray Eames – Designers
- Lonnie Johnson – Inventor
- Patricia Urquiola – Product & Interior Designer
- Dieter Rams – Industrial Designer
- Florence Knoll – Architect, Interior & Furniture Designers
- Le Corbusier – Architect Designer
- Charlotte Perriand – Architect Designer
- Lalla Vignelli – Designer
- Rowan & Erwan Bouroullec – Designers
- Verda Alexander – Interior Designer
- Robin Day – Furniture Designer
- Norma Merrick Sklarek – Architect
- Garrett A. Morgan – Inventor
- Hella Jongerius – Designer
- Balkrishna Doshi – Architect
- Georg Olden – Graphic Designer
- Thato Kgatlhanye – Designer
- Arne Jacobsen – Architect and Designer
- Kazuyo Sejima – Architect
- Tom Dixon OBE – Architect
- Lucienne Day OBE – Textile Designer
- Henry Dreyfuss – Industrial Designer
- Paola Navone – Product and Interior Designer
- Karim Rashid – Designer
- Lara Bohinc – Designer
- Oswald Boateng OBE – Fashion Designer
- India Mahdavi – Architect and Designer
- Ini Archibong – Architect and Designer
- Cristina Celestino – Interior Architect and Designer
This is full list of those in each download. They can also be downloaded from the Design Diversity Website (Link Above) or the Facebook page ‘Design and Technology Teachers Forum’
By kind Permission of Sarah Awbery