Assignment ED04 – Litter Bin
This assignment can be purely construction, the design element can be optional
- A great starter project to get students straight into the workshop
- The students design as they make, they use a number of set pieces to start with
- It revises and builds new skills, ready for more advanced manufacture
- It always ensures success and allows differentiation by outcome
- It can be extended into design work if you wish
This can be a purely manufacturing exercise to produce a model to scale, revising skills, so appropriate at the beginning of an academic year
To get students back into making and the workshop environment. Supports the notion you can design through model making.
It has been agreed by Harchester Council to invest in a new approach in ensuring that the town is kept clean. This is very important to them as they wish visitors to get a good impression of the town. Part of the project is to replace all the existing set of litter bins with a new, modern range. The main area will be around the central zone and will have their bins emptied quickly, possibly two or three times during the day. It is intended to use a small fleet of specially designed dustcarts, the size of a small van, to undertake this task and shop waste will be emptied at night by a bigger fleet. The Council intends to pave areas within the town to help and create people friendly zones.
To design and make a range of litter bins which will reflect the new and modern style of Harchester. They must be free-standing, and they will have a liner which will be made of galvanised steel, and which can be removed quickly. Any material can be used for the main body you feel it is appropriate. It is advised that you look at some existing products.
- A portfolio which deals with the production of the product
- A scale model, which shows the possibilities for the product.
- records of relevant production details and H&S issues
- progress journal of the construction and the products evolution
- annotation – what skills, materials, techniques, process have been used, what technical information has been explored
- Made to scale, accurate model using a variety of materials
Suggested Target Year Group:
The links below will take you to a range of support materials and examples:
Assignment ED04 – Litter Bin – Resources
- A collection of resources, including a sample folder and link to gallery
- Sample Folder with a commentary and teacher notes
- A set of support templates to help structure the portfolio
- A set of handouts explaining how to do certain sections
Assignment ED04 – Litter Bin – Example Models
- A great gallery showing how students have taken the basic construction/structure and run with it, with some rewarding and imaginative solutions